Sunday, January 25, 2009

Going green one zucchini slice at a time

Tonight I made my first-ever zucchini slice. I grew up eating this, and was thrilled to finally get Mum's recipe for it. I made it into one big slice (to be cut up and frozen) and one little one (to eat tonight). When I was little I remember thinking it looked yuk - mushy and green - but tasted yum. Now I think green and mushy looks pretty damned appealing...





MUM'S ZUCCHINI SLICE

Ingredients:
5 whole whole egg
1 1/3 cup self-raising white flour
375 g zucchini
1 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
150 g Mainland Grated Light Tasty Cheddar
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm slice tray. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
_________
So in other news I've only just ordered a bokashi and an easiyo today, and my cursed mind has turned to the next 'i want' before those have even arrived. Oh well I'll post about how bad an idea it is and that might help...

I'd really love a cent-a-meter to measure our electricity use, but it's about $200 and it also needs to be installed by an electrician (more money harrumph). The other thing to consider is that we're living in a rental at the moment. So we'd need permission from the real estate to install it, and even then we might end up moving and have to leave it behind/get it uninstalled somehow.

Methinks I'll have to be patient (ha!) and wait until we buy a place. There's nothing stopping me from reducing electricity use as much as possible without the help of the cent-a-meter anyway. It'd just be nice to be able to measure and monitor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed with open arms!