Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why start a blog?

"Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good action; try to use ordinary situations." - Jean Paul Richter, German Romantic novelist and humorist

I want my life to be simpler, healthier, more self-sufficient and more environmentally friendly. I have felt too overwhelmed and too busy to tackle it in the past. I kept waiting for the right moment to start making changes. After reading some inspiring books, particularly Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and Chemical Free Home by Robin Stewart, and after stumbling across a wonderful blog, Towards Sustainability, I finally feel like I can stop putting it off and start taking small steps toward living the way I want to live.

What I really love about these books and about Julie's blog is that they are about good action in ordinary situations. I didn't feel intimidated or overwhelmed - instead I felt inspired to start taking small steps over time toward a better life for myself and my family.

Already I could feel the move toward health and food awareness starting to happen - I've been trying to reach a healthy weight and fitness level, becoming aware of food intolerances and allergies that friends and loved ones suffer from, starting to grow my own food in the extremely limited space I have (only tomatoes so far), and making a move from an Arts degree to a Science course so I can become a dietitian.

However the more I read, the more I realise that there is so much more to be doing, and I can do it, if I give myself permission to do it slowly and carefully. Ordinary Situations will be about all the small and ordinary steps that will hopefully add up to an extraordinary change in my life and the way I live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed with open arms!